Steven Scaffardi is the author of The Drought and most recently The Flood. These books are in The Sex, Love & Dating Disasters series. I have read The Drought recently and have reviewed below.
Dan Hilles is a pretty regular kind of guy - regular job, regular bunch of mates, regular male aversion to shopping. But following his break-up with long-term girlfriend, Stacey, he finds himself single again. He's been out of the game for a while and is a little out of practice. Soon, the very irregular and increasingly worrying issue in Dan's life is the extended drought he finds himself suffering. And we're not talking the climate change, scorched earth, God I'm parched variety.
You've got to hand it to Dan though - it certainly isn't from a lack of trying. With stalwart mates Ollie, Jack and Rob on hand to lend their collective pearls of male wisdom and arrange the odd road trip, you'd think Dan's days of languishing in a sexual wilderness would be numbered. You'd think...
Even best friends can't help prevent the kind of surreal holes Dan just can't seem to help digging himself into. And with each failed attempt, his self-esteem plummets to the point where he wonders if 'little Dan' will ever work again.
Good job he has Kelly, his reliable and sympathetic colleague, to confide in. As a woman, she can perhaps shed some female light on why he's failing so miserably with the opposite sex, balancing out the testosterone-fuelled 'advice' from the lads. Surely Dan can't go wrong with Kelly teaching him the various intricacies of a woman's mind. You'd think...
Sometimes I just need a book that does what it says in the blurb, that isn't going to tax me but something that is an absolute bundle of fun. The Drought was just that. It had me absolutely roaring with laughter. It was rude, crude and some of the situations had me cracking up. Considering I am not a 'lad' I think this is a feat on the authors part.
He has written a romantic comedy about boys that appeals to boys and girls and rarely has a book made me laugh out loud so much. It has been written with a wicked humour that reminded me of a cross between the television programmes Peep Show and Fresh Meat. It really allowed me to get into the mind of what a group of lads get up to and talk about when they get together. The main character Dan Hilles must be one of the unluckiest in love people I have ever come across, so much so that he was almost a parody of himself.
The situations and scenarios that the Lads found themselves in played themselves out in my mind predictably and I was cringing before it got to point where I was thinking, yes that really did happen. However I can actually imagine them happening in real life and this only added to the humour that the author has captured in his story telling.
Hugely entertaining, a hilarious read and I will definitely be reading The Flood now as I have a feeling that poor Dan might have bitten off more than he can chew.
Find out more about Steven on his blog:
Social media links
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5162103.Steven_Scaffardi
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StevenScaffardiAuthorAndComedian/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveScaffardi
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Scaff7
- Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-Scaffardi/e/B006XWRD8Q
- Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Scaffardi/e/B006XWRD8Q
- Google+: https://plus.google.com/+StevenScaffardi
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/stevescaffardi/
If you are interested in finding out more about the characters above please find the purchasing links for the books below:
- The Drought (Amazon UK): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drought-Love-Dating-Disasters-Book-ebook/dp/B00FM53MK8/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
- The Drought (Amazon US): http://www.amazon.com/Drought-Love-Dating-Disasters-Book-ebook/dp/B00FM53MK8/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
- The Flood (Amazon UK): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flood-Love-Dating-Disasters-Book-ebook/dp/B01D1U7Z0I/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
- The Flood (Amazon US): http://www.amazon.com/Flood-Love-Dating-Disasters-Book-ebook/dp/B01D1U7Z0I/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
This is a massive blog tour, so please do check out some for the other spots for guest posts, reviews and more.